Wednesday, August 27, 2008

SPC: shine


I've had a hard time with this month. Nude, I can do. But shine? It seemed abstract, what with the directive coming from hula herself and a quote by emily dickinson*.  And then, everyone was taking it literally, and I just haven't had any shine in me lately.

I telecommuted today, though, which meant an open-faced sandwich under the broiler and lunch on the back stoop, and I glanced over and saw how luxuriously my tomatoes were shining in the half-clouded Seattle sun.  And today's shoot was born.

ps. To say that tomatoes, entrusted into my care, are actually producing fruit is nothing short of a minor miracle. I used to kill succulents.  I was a host to one christmas cactus that never bloomed in all the four years I watered it. As I drove away from Alaska, I entrusted its care to my sister,  it was twice its original size in a matter of weeks AND it blooms something like twice a year now.  So. The fact that there are at least 10 happy tomatoes growing in my very own back yard, is to admit, out loud, that I DO have some shine in me.

for more shine, go here.

* "I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word. sometimes i write one, and i look at it, until it begins to shine." ~emily dickinson

No comments: