Here's how to make your own:
1. Juice your citrus. I used three mid-sized grapefruits, but any citrus will work. (Drink juice.)
2. Cut citrus into fourths and use a grapefruit spoon to scrape out the insides--all the fruit and casings--leaving just the beautiful white pith and rind.
|smoosh like so.|
|cut like so.|
4. Boil some water. Throw the strips into the water and simmer for five minutes.
|strips awaiting three boiling sessions.|
5. Drain. Boil some more water. Throw the strips into the water and simmer for five minutes.
6. Again (three boil sessions). (You're boiling off the bitterness.)
7. Now put a cup of water and a cup and a half of sugar in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
8. Add the thrice-boiled rind strips to the sugar syrup and simmer on medium-low for about 90 minutes, or until soft and amazing.
|strips soaking up sugar and love.|
9. Using tongs, pull out the rinds a few at a time. Roll them in sugar, and leave them on a drying rack to dry.
10. Eat. Yum. Seriously.