Monday, July 18, 2011

Floss


Been working on some stuff with the embroidery floss (remember, here?) and just love love love the to and fro of the needle in my hand.


Trying something new. I'm no longer making anything that's functional. I've long been pulled away from doing anything that is purely for visual pleasure thinking that I'm not an artist, I'm a craftsperson. Craftspeople make useful things--baby gear, purses, sweaters, etc.  And when I make useful things, I can hide behind the pattern. (It's not really my work, I'm just following someone else's ideas).


When you make something that is just for hanging on the wall, it's a lot scarier. Suddenly it's all self-expression, and there's nothing to hide behind. There it is. You either like it or you don't. 

Either way, it's me. Or parts of me. 

And then come the voices. The "you're not an artist," "no one wants your crap," "who do you think you are" voices. And I'm learning to make space for them. Turns out, the louder they are, the closer you are to doing something great. Something new and daring and different. 

The voices stay very quiet when you're not taking any risks. So. Instead of listening to the voices, I'm learning to use them as a barometer for risk and the subsequent chance at growth.  

I'll let you know how that shapes up.

2 comments:

Christy said...

You are the definition of an artist. Create freely :)

Julie said...

not only is your newest "artistic" adventure lovely, but I am equally taken by your lovely and inspiring thought-process about your creative energy!! bravo!!
here's to hearing the voices and knowing what to do with them for optimal pleasure!!XO