Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Blanch!

don't use roasted almonds. they're not white.

Did you know you can blanch your own almonds? And that it's so easy?

Thank you Marcella Hazan, who has taught me to make her grandmother's pastry ring (which is then dipped in vin santo and makes me melt), my husband to make the most amazing meatballs, and now me to blanch almonds.

First off, if you want them to be pretty and pale, don't used toasted almonds, like I did. (But that's what I had.)

textured cloth. cool water. rub.

Second, boil them for 2 minutes.

Strain.  Using a cool, wet cloth, rub the almonds a bit.

(Or, if you're me and you like the fun of it, squeeze the almonds from their wet shells one by one like so many shrimp.)

Ta Da! The shells come right off.

pretty. 

Genius. Pure. Genius.


(As I was doing this, I kept exclaiming at the wonders of old-timey cookery. How many things do we buy in the grocery store that our grandmothers used to do/make/create on their own? I would like to start a list.)

1. Pre-sifted flour.
2. Blanched almonds.
3.

more?

7 comments:

Miss C said...

3. Churning butter
4. Jarring (pickling & jams)

Pamela said...

5. Canning fruit and vegetables
6. Milking the cow
7. Shelling peas
8. Cutting corn off the cob

Unknown said...

9. fermenting yogurt

Julie said...

10. soap
11.jams and jellies

Jene said...

12. pie crusts
13. cake from scratch
14. ice cream
15. shelling walnuts for cookies

Julie said...

BTW....your photos are wonderful to look at! XO

Anonymous said...

16. apple sauce
It amazes me to see packets of pre-peeled, pre-chopped carrots in the supermarket. Who is so busy they don't have time to peel and slice a carrot?!